12/30/2008

Minivan

We bought a minivan. I've had minivan envy since we went to Florida last May and rented one for vacation. We started "seriously" looking a couple of months ago. We prefer to buy used cars, (and by prefer, I mean that both times we've bought a car, we've bought used) and JD was born a skeptic when it comes to sales people. Add to that his training as a lawyer, and he is prepared to do a shakedown of anyone who tries to sell him anything. We use Craigslist as our used car database, and we looked at two minivans that were listed there. JD didn't feel comfortable about those vans, mainly because he wasn't sure the owners' stories were legitimate. I was beginning to get frustrated because the vans looked great, ran well, and the people selling them seemed perfectly normal and reasonable.

So knowing all that, would you expect this same man to say to me two weeks ago, "Hey, there's a 2006 EX-L Odyssey on Ebay for [x] dollars. It's a great deal. Should I bid?" So, I told him to bid thinking that there was no way it would go for that price. Long story short: We won the auction and now own the van. The van was in Atlanta, so we had to pay for shipping it here, but we got a pretty good deal on that as well. So far, we have been pleased with the van, and I'm so thankful that my husband is patient and wise and overly skeptical at times. We were blessed with a great deal and a much nicer, newer van because he was not impulsive.

No comments: