4/29/2010

Madelyn loves climbing one of the trees in our front yard. On Tuesday we were outside and Madelyn called me over to the tree. She said, "Look at this." And pointed her finger towards this:

"What is that?"
Hmmm...not sure.

A minute later: "Mommy, look at this. A spider."
There were four or five that I saw crawling on the tree. A fleeting thought for me: I wonder if that's a spider's nest.

"Hey Mommy. Another one."
Oh boy! Pleeeaaase don't be spider nests.

I looked up further into the tree and saw another one. Dear Lord, Please let these be something besides spider nests.

And another one:

"Hey Mommy! Look! Is that a caterpillar?"

Oh, yes. And there were more:



When we came inside, I researched a bit and discovered these were caterpillar nests. Unfortunately, they will not build chrysalises and become beautiful butterflies. Instead, they will build cocoons and be moths.

1 comment:

The Rakows said...

Gypsy moths... :) very damaging... :) but cool! as a kid, i played with them all the time... if you let the kids catch one and let it spin a cocoon, it's cool... :) the cocoon is a light colored yellow... :)