4/28/2010

Future politician or just all around good guy?

After school today, the kids asked if they could run around with some of the other kids on the yard of the school. Neither of the kids had class mates there, just other kids from the school. Madelyn just started running around with a couple of the girls, but Pierce stood in the middle of the grassy area, just taking it all in. Finally, he made his move:

Pierce: Hi! I'm Pierce. What's your name?
Little Boy 1: staring
Pierce: Hi! I'm Pierce. What's your name?
Little Boy1: still staring

Pierce: Hi! I'm Pierce. What's your name?
Little Boy 2: runs away

At this point, I was feeling a little bad for the guy. He just wanted somebody to play with. He just looked at me, smiled, and approached a group of "older boys." I was a little nervous as the group of 4 was deeply entrenched in pretending to feed a stone turtle near the flower bed.

Pierce: Hi! I'm Pierce. What are you boys doing?
Boys: take turns looking at one another
Pierce: I said, "Hi! I'm Pierce. What are you doing?"
One brave little boy: We're feeding the turtle.
Another boy: I'm Brad. (pointing). This is Connor.
Pierce (to another boy): What's your name?
Other boy: I'm David.
Pierce: That's my middle name.

Pierce joined right in the game for the next few minutes, but Isabel was quick to remind me that she needed lunch. As we were leaving, one of the boys yelled out, "Bye Pierce. Thanks for feeding Shelly." (Cute name for a turtle.)

1 comment:

Renee said...

Pierce has some great social skills!