1/11/2008

Thankful

I think we are finally on the tail end of this terrible stomach virus. For the first time since Sat. afternoon, we've gone over 24 hours with no throwing up! Madelyn recovered very quickly--really just about a 12 hour thing for her-- but Pierce has really struggled. I've been in tears more than once. I've felt frustrated, sad, scared, and helpless. Helplessness is a terrible feeling for a parent to have. I'm a control-freak by nature, so when things are out of my control, I have a hard time dealing with them. I just want to fix things. I want to fix Pierce. I want to make him feel better, but I can't. This has been a very good reminder for me. I am NOT in control of most things in this world. These are the times when I should turn to the Lord more, but more often than not, I continue to worry and jump to crazy conclusions. Fortunately, I married a very level-headed man who tries his best to keep me grounded.

Anyway, all this makes me very thankful that I have healthy children. I don't know how parents with chronically ill children manage. This week has seemed so long, and it was only a week. What would I do if it were a way of life??? Hopefully, I will never know that, but I am in awe of those who are able to handle it.

No comments: