11/10/2011

Madelyn Update


Madelyn is thriving in first grade. She is a voracious reader. She will read anything you put in front of her, and she's borderline insulted when she has to read something besides a chapter book. She's really enjoying American Girl Doll books and Ramona Quimby books. I met with her teacher today for parent/teacher conferences, and Madelyn is excelling academically. I did ask if she seemed bored in class, and while her teacher assured me she seems engaged and eager, she also mentioned starting her and a few of her classmates in the school's enrichment program after Thanksgiving.

Recently, the class had a contest to draw the cover of their "I Am Thankful" books. For this book, the class members all submit a page of what they are thankful for, and the teacher sends the pages off to a publishing company where it is bound and returned. Well, Madelyn's drawing was voted as the best, so her drawing will be on the cover of the book. She was so excited to have won. She really was proud, so I asked her teacher if I could see it today. I will say that she did a very neat job. The drawing was simple-just a rainbow, flowers, birds, and clouds, but she was very careful with it, and it was obvious that she had really tried. Her teacher said she worked much longer and harder on it than anyone else. So, I'm glad that she was rewarded for her efforts.

While I wasn't surprised by this, her teacher did ask us to work on one thing with Madelyn. Madelyn is a rule follower, and it bothers her when others don't follow the rules. Apparently, Madelyn likes to remind people when they aren't following the rules at school, and it sometimes annoys the other kids. I can't imagine why :-) While her teacher assured me that it doesn't affect the overall relationship Madelyn has with her classmates, she did ask that we work on teaching "If it doesn't cause bodily harm or damage property, let the teacher handle it." She does the same thing at home with her siblings, and we've tried to curb it. We obviously need to try a little harder.

As for her extracurriculars, Madelyn is taking gymnastics, piano, and continues to go to Sparks (AWANA) at church. We tried ballet and tap with Madelyn, and she just didn't like it. I was a bit disappointed with that, but I didn't push it. Gymnastics, though, seems to be something she does like, so maybe we can stick with that. Piano is a new hobby, and she is doing very well with it. So well, actually, that her teacher asked if she could participate in a festival this spring where she will be judged (based on her own ability, not compared with other students) and given remarks by the judges. It will be a lot of work on her part, but I think it will be a great way to challenge her, and she only competes with herself.

I'm really enjoying Madelyn as she grows. She's so smart and has such a strong personality, which can be challenging at times, but I know it will serve her well as she gets older. I love being able to have real conversations with her and being able to get a better idea of what's going on her mind. I'm usually pleasantly pleased when I find out.

No comments: