11/17/2011

Italy Wrap Up

I think this will end my posts about Italy. We had an amazing time, and I would definitely go back one day. I think the amount of time we were gone was just about right. I didn't miss the kids and home until we were in our last couple of days of the trip. I think we met one rude person in our entire two weeks in Italy, so we were definitely treated well. Some interesting things I noted and discovered-peanut butter is almost impossible to find, but it can be done. I really dislike Nutella (is that weird?). I did get tired of bread and cappuccino for breakfast by the end of the two weeks. I wish Italians would discover the "to go" concept. I missed having my big coffee cup to carry around. Venice was not my favorite city, but contrary to some stories I had heard, it does not stink. Not one bit. If we ever go back, I would like to go back to Tuscany and visit southern Italy since I've never been to that part of the country.

Here are some of J.D.'s travel tips:

1) When you turn in a rental car, look carefully at the receipt for anything that references "carburante" (fuel) or "addebito" (surcharge). Apparently, it's not uncommon to stick refill fees on the bill and wait for the customer to say something. It's not difficult to get it removed later if you still have the receipt, but it would be easier to handle before you leave the lot.

2) Do not go to any self-serve credit card machine with an American credit card. This is especially true at toll booths and transit ticket machine. Most places can read the magnetic strip on American cards, but you need a human employee to assist you.

3) GPS is absolutely indispensable in getting around, particularly if you get lost. One exception to the rule - in city centers, you are better off turning off the GPS and relying on a good map and street signs. The turns come too fast for the GPS, and it can't account for one way traffic and lane reversals.

4) VAT refunds are a major headache. Think of them as the European version of manufacturers rebates. You have to show the merchandise at a customs desk to get a stamp (outside security) and then process the refund at a refund point (inside security). If you don't process the refund at the airport, you can mail it in later, but you have to get the stamp at the airport.

5) Rick Steves is great for tourist attractions, but for hotels and restaurants, you are better off looking at flyertalk.com and chowhound.com, respectively.

6) I strongly recommend staying at an airport hotel on the final night if you have an early departure. If your final city is Venice or Rome and you won't have the rental car, the airport hotel can also store your unneeded luggage and purchases.

7) Pay the extra money for a centrally located hotel. You will save time on transit and your feet will appreciate a mid-afternoon break.

8) Try to keep your total imports of gifts, souvenirs and wine under $800/person. Otherwise you can run into import duties at customs.

No comments: