10/15/2007

A heart issue

Since football season started, Madelyn, Pierce, and I have been wearing our VT gear every game day. I'll have a Tech t-shirt on and Madelyn will say, "I want to be a Hokie." Then, we'll go in her room to get her VT gear. She then wants to make sure that Pierce is a Hokie, too. So, we'll get Pierce all dressed up, too. I think we have succeeded in our attempts at early indoctrination.

For whatever reason, JD has chosen not to participate. So, on Saturday, JD and Madelyn went out to pick up dinner. As they were waiting in line, Madelyn starts talking about how Mommy is a Hokie, and Pierce is a Hokie, and Madelyn is a Hokie. She, then, informs JD that he is not a Hokie (because he doesn't have on a VT shirt). Talk about a punch in the gut. JD tried to explain that you don't have to be wearing a Hokie shirt to be a Hokie and that being a Hokie is in your heart.

I'm thinking that there's a deeper message/lesson to be taught here, but I wasn't quite sure how to tie being a Hokie in your heart with a message about loving Jesus and having him in your heart. Something to ponder for next time.

No comments: