4/04/2012

Back from the Big Apple

We just got back from a 4 day whirlwind trip to New York City. We had a great time, but we are all exhausted. I have pictures to sort through and will post them in a day or two, but I wanted to share this here before I forget about it. When we arrived at our hotel early Saturday afternoon, our room wasn't ready, so we decided to head to F.A.O. Schwarz. The kids had so much trouble pronouncing it correctly. There is something tricky about combining the "sch" with a "w", so it always came out as "F.A.O. Shorts." That evening, while we were eating dinner, Pierce was talking about going to the toy store again and said something along the lines of , "When we go back to F.A.O. Pants, ..." JD and I got a big kick out that.

We also learned that Isabel is not ready for an extended stay in a hotel room. We had connecting rooms in the hotel, so the thought was that the kids would sleep in one room, and JD and I would sleep in the other. One morning, JD stepped out to get us breakfast. Within two minutes of his being gone, Isabel had managed to lock herself in one of the rooms and the other three of us were on the other side with no way to get to her. The connecting door was locked and she couldn't turn the knob. I didn't have the key to the exterior door to the room she was in. So, I called JD and told him to make it quick. He did and rushed down the hall hearing Isabel hysterically screaming. He had taken the key to the room she was in. Unfortunately, this room still had the safety latch on from the night before. So, we really had no way of getting in. The hotel staff had to send a maintenance man to the room, and he had Isabel rescued within 5 minutes of his arriving. This was probably the low point of the trip, so we had a good time, and about the thought of the kids sleeping in one room and us sleeping in the other--Ha! I haven't seen Isabel that many times in the middle of the night since she was about two weeks old. Yep, it's good to be home.

1 comment:

Renee said...

I loved reading about your NYC trip! I have only been there twice but I would love to go again. I think it will be a while before we brave it with kids.

We just stayed in a two bedroom suite in Williamsburg. The best part for me getting to watch the Today each morning! I never get to watch it at home.