8/28/2011

Earthquakes, hurricanes,and no power. Oh my!

So, on Tuesday, just after I had put the kids down for rest time, I thought my washing machine was off balance. But, I quickly remembered I wasn't doing laundry. Then, I thought some military planes or helicopters were flying above but realized that wasn't the right sound. Then, I looked up and saw that our light fixture was rocking. Holy smokes! Earthquake! This was my third earthquake experience, and this was the biggest. As I stood frozen in the kitchen waiting for the noise and shaking to stop, I realized I needed to get the kids to safety because the shaking wasn't stopping. So, I ran up the stairs to put Pierce under his bed and grab Isabel, but by the time I got to Pierce's room, the shaking had stopped. I realize that a 5.8 magnitude earthquake is minimal, and we had no damage in or to our home, but the experience is still unnerving.

Then, after the media went on and on about the earthquake that I had just experienced, the focus turned to the hurricane that I was about to experience. We started getting rain around 10:00 yesterday morning and the rain didn't stop until about 8:00 this morning. The rain was hard and a lot of it fell, but the wind was something to behold. I couldn't sleep because of the wind, so I came downstairs to read and watch news reports. Around midnight, we started getting tropical storm force winds, and I realized then and there that I never want to experience hurricane force winds. We lost power around 2:00 am, but kudos to Dominion Power because it came back on around noon today. We drove around a bit today, and friends whose power was still on (Thanks Billy and Sarah!) invited us over for showers and lunch. We saw three trees that had not just fallen but had been picked up by the root ball and fallen into the yards. JD's uncle has three trees on top of his house. I couldn't help but be thankful that we only had branches and leaves to clean up.

Matthew 8:27 --The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him.

I kept thinking about this verse last night and was comforted by knowing that Jesus was in control of this situation even though the wind seemed so out of control. I'm so thankful that He is in control of every situation whether it's a hurricane, earthquake or a trip to the store. Now, I'm off to take a nap since I slept all of one hour last night.


No comments: